Listen to Episode 8: Safety Before Paychecks
SAFETY IN REAL ESTATE!
Cassies story from last week got even worse from driving with the man who said inappropriate things to her…
Safety over paycheck. Here’s the story…
This client kept trying to get me to drive him to showings by saying he was lost and couldn’t find the house. We were looking at the house and the owner was there and the client said he wanted to look at a real estate office in town because they had a listing that wasn’t in my system. We get to the real estate office and as we approach I see one of the realtors run to the door and lock it. She said I need to talk to you and the client pushed his way inside. All of a sudden an agent from the back comes out and screams at us and chases us out. For years now he has been trying to get female agents to list his house and show houses and I learned he has a track record and has been very inappropriate.
Thing to do to increase your safety:
- Don’t go into room with them
- Have pepper spray or bear spray
- Tell another agent where you are going anytime you meet with a new client
- Never leave that location if you are unsafe
- Get an app like Life360
- Have an exit strategy
- Take someone with you if you are able
- Meet at the office (security cameras) before if it is your first time meeting them and ask to scan their ID for security reasons
- Verify them on Facebook prior
- Stay outside if you are uncomfortable AT ALL
Danielle had a story where she was showing someone a property a ways out of town and needed the money. She opened the gate and they started wandering and she just got a bad vibe so she went out to her car and called someone and when they eventually came off the property she just said sorry I needed to check in with my broker. They were kind of weird about it and I never heard from them again. That was 12 years ago and agreed to never do it again.
If the air feels thick, alarms are going off in your body, etc. trust your instinct! Yes you are suppose to be in the house with the client, but if it is your safety, stay outside.
If you are going to use bear spray, Costco has canisters with one so practice with one first! It is 25 feet so you don’t need to be so close whereas with mace you need to be close.
Open house safety tips:
- Always have a door open in the back
- Bring someone with if you can
- App that they text code and that allows them to come in
- Sign-in sheet
Did you like this episode? Please share it on Pinterest!
ABOUT US -🎙 Agents Unfiltered is a podcast with the goal of connecting and building community between realtors nationwide. Get ready for some relatable and relevant information about “The Do’s, the Don’ts & the What The Fuck’s of Real Estate.”