With the “stay home” orders issued in most area’s most parents are having to get creative to keep the children happy and entertained. Aside from their school work and remote learning, it’s so easy to fill in the time with tv and other technology. I’m all for a little extra screen time, especially when you have work of your own you need to get done, but sometimes that’s a go to just for lack of better idea or not wanting to hassle with a messy craft or spend a bunch of money on supplies. So here are my top 5 free and easy ideas to do with your kiddos during this time.
- Go for a walk or hike- I know this one is kind of obvious but it is amazing what a little time outdoors does for all our mood’s. We are so lucky to have a great nature trail within walking distance of our home but we also enjoy taking our dog on short walks around the neighborhood.
- Read a book together- I just recently started reading some of my favorite chapter books to my daughter and she really enjoys it. We just finished Pippi Long stocking and started Matilda, bonus points for doing the voices!
- Create Art- I am not known for my artistic ability, so I’m loving the Art For Kids You Tube channel, that shows you step by step how to draw. We have made so many fun creations together. Coloring together is also very soothing and distracting for me so we have done a lot of that.
- Build a fort- Since you don’t have any guests coming over what better time to turn your living room into the ultimate hideout. This kept my daughter busy and quiet for hours after I built it!
- Play a silly game- This is my daughter’s favorite, she calls it “ hide and go seek tickle monster” and basically consists of me finding her and taking her to my castle where I serve her up to my guests for dinner. She basically gives me my “script” beforehand and it makes no sense but the point is that she gets tons of one on one attention from me in a fun silly way.
I would love to hear all of your ideas to keep your family busy during this time. Remember that even though so much is unknown right now, this too will pass, so make the most of what you have!